Health & Safety Officers
Health and safety officers counsel employees to ensure and promote health and safety in the workplace and co-ordinate accident prevention and health and safety measures within an establishment or organisation.
- Inspects workplace areas to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation
- Helps to develop effective health and safety policies and procedures and carries out risk assessments
- Instructs workers in the proper use of protective clothing and safety devices and conducts routine tests on that equipment
- Compiles statistics on accidents and injuries, analyses their causes and makes recommendations to management accordingly
- Maintains contact with those off work due to illness
- Counsels individuals on any personal or domestic problems affecting their work
- Gives talks and distributes information on accident prevention, and keeps up to date with the relevant legislation.
Entrants usually possess an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. Higher level accredited qualifications (at Levels 4 to 6) are achievable via the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £26,000 per annum and can progress up to £43,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 5,026 employed Health & Safety Officers in the region.
- Health and Safety Officer Southend-On-Sea, Essex, SS2 5QF
- Kickstart - Health and Safety Officer London, EC2A4NE
- Kickstart - Health and Safety Administration Support Officer Aylesbury, HP201DB
- Health and Safety Advisor-£45,000 South West London, London, SW10 0AB
- Pharmaceutical Quality Control and Systems Manager Pharmacy Department, Northwick Park Hospital,, HA1 3UJ