Enrolling now!

Visit our campus

Help & Support

The Advanced Learner Loan makes studying more affordable for adults.

If you’re 19+, a UK resident and applying to study on a Level 3 to Level 6 course, you are likely to be eligible for this government loan, which covers all or part of your tuition fees and is paid directly to the College.

Key benefits:

  • You can borrow any amount from £300 up to the full cost of your tuition fees
  • Getting the loan doesn’t depend on your household income
  • There is no credit check
  • You only start paying the loan back when you’re earning £25,000 a year or more
  • If you study on an Access to HE course and go on to achieve a Higher Education qualification,
  • you will not need to pay back your loan, regardless of what you earn
  • All Advanced Learner Loans are written off after 30 years

Find out more and apply for the Advanced Learner Loan.

Am I eligible?

To apply for an Advanced Learner Loan you must be:

  • 19 or over on the first day of your course
  • Enrolling on a course at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 including vocational qualifications (eg BTECs or NVQs), A levels and Access to Higher Education Diplomas
  • A resident in the UK for three years before the start of the course. (Visit www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan for exact residency requirements)

The Advanced Learner Loan does not cover Higher Education courses. Find out more about loans available for Higher Education study.

How do I apply?

Applying for the Advanced Learner Loan is easy. You just need to:

  • Obtain a ‘Learning and Funding Information Letter’. (We give you this when you’ve been accepted on to your course or you can get one from our Student Services)
  • Apply online at www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan
  • Your loan should be confirmed within two weeks of applying

We recommend that you apply as early as possible because you need to show evidence that your loan application has been approved when you enrol for your course. If you can’t provide this evidence, you will need to pay 20% of your tuition fees and sign up to a payment plan at enrolment.

How much can I get?

You can borrow any amount from £300 up to the full tuition fee for your course.
How much you borrow will depend on your own circumstances. You can get impartial money advice at money advice service.

When and how do I pay the loan back?

  • You only start paying back the loan (plus interest) when you’re earning £21,000 a year or more
  • You will pay 9% of any income you earn over £21,000 (eg if you earn £25,000 a year, your monthly repayments would be £30)
  • If you go on to work for a company, your repayments will be taken out of your salary with your tax
  • If you become self-employed, you will need to make repayments as part of your Self Assessment tax return
  • If you stop working, your repayments will stop, and only start again when your income is more than £21,000 a year
  • If you take out a loan for an Access to HE course and go on to achieve a Higher Education qualification, your loan will be written off altogether – regardless of how much you go on to earn
  • All Advanced Learner Loans are written off after 30 years

Key information

We want to get you on a course and working towards your career as soon as possible. But there are some things you need to know...

Open Days Find Us Enrolment Fees & Finance FAQs Contact Us

Apply Now

Search for a course or your favourite subject, find more information and begin your application.


Coronavirus update

Southwark College is closely monitoring all communications and guidance as it becomes available. This information is for students and staff and reflects updates from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Public Health England (PHE). We are prepared to escalate our contingency arrangements in the event of change.

The government is monitoring the situation closely and will continue to work with the WHO and international community. For staff and students, it remains business as usual across our sites and our workplaces.

Please note that, at present, this advice refers only to arrivals from Wuhan, and not the remainder of China. If you have returned from Wuhan you should:

General guidance for those planning visits to Wuhan or other destinations in China

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) maintains updated travel advice for those planning a trip to Wuhan or other destinations in China. This is available at:



This advice is derived from The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on a daily basis at 2pm until further notice:


Supplementary Q&A for individuals wishing to know more around how the UK is managing the risk: