Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £25,000 per annum and can progress up to £31,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 3,826 employed Artists in the region.
- Sandwich Artist™ 38b Packhorse Road Gerrards Cross, SL9 8EB
- Sandwich Artist™ 29 High St North Dunstable, LU6 1HX
- Sandwich Artist™ unit 3 The Royals High Street Southend On Sea, SS1 1DQ
- Sandwich Artist™ 47 Danebury Avenue, Roehampton, SW15 4DQ
- Sandwich Artist™ Unit N, Asda Watford Supercentre, Odhams Industrial Estate, St Albans Road Watford, WD24 7RT