The GCE A Level Mathematics qualification will improve your understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and extend range of mathematical skills and techniques that provides a strong foundation for progress to further study.
This qualification will be graded, awarded and certificated to comply with the requirements of Ofqual's General Conditions of Recognition. This A Level qualification will be graded and certificated on a six-grade scale from A* to E using the total combined marks (out of 300) for the three compulsory papers.
- Entry Requirements, Units, Assessment and more...
Minimum of three GCSE subjects which must include English, Science and at least a grade B or equivalent in Maths with a good reference. All applicants must take an initial assessment and interview.
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 Advanced GCE in Mathematics consists of three externally-examined papers. Students must complete all assessment in May/June in any single year.
- Paper 1: Pure Maths 1 (Paper code: 9MA0/01) 2-hour written examination, 33.33% of the qualification
- Paper 2: Pure Maths 2 (Paper code: 9MA0/02) 2-hour written examination, 33.33% of the qualification
- Paper 1 and Paper 2 contains ? Proof, Algebra and functions, Coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane, Sequences and series, Trigonometry, - Exponentials and logarithms, Differentiation, Integration, Numerical methods, Vectors.
- Paper 3: Statistics and Mechanics (Paper code: 9MA0/03) 2-hour written examination, 33.33% of the qualification
- Paper 3 contains two sections;
- Section A: Statistics - Statistical sampling, Data presentation and interpretation, Probability, Statistical distributions, and Statistical hypothesis testing
Section B: Mechanics - Quantities and units in mechanics, Kinematics, Forces and Newton's laws, and Moments
Calculators can be used in the assessments
Aims of the course
This aim of this course is to enable students to understand mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence, fosters enjoyment and provides a strong foundation for progress to further study, apply mathematics in other fields of study.
It is designed for students to use their mathematical skills and techniques to solve challenging problems that require them to decide on the solution strategy, make deductions, inferences and draw conclusions by using mathematical reasoning.
This course prepares you for progression to further study or the world of work: You will have developed great mathematical skills which are transferable to both university and employment You might want to study a degree in Mathematics or Engineering or Maths related qualification
Class room teaching, laboratory experiments, workshops
You might progress to a career in Statistics. Operation research, Mathematical modelling or Numerical analysis etc.