Launderers, Dry Cleaners & Pressers
Launderers, dry cleaners and pressers supervise and undertake the washing, dry cleaning, ironing and pressing of clothing, household and other linen, carpets, curtains and other articles.
- Receives garment or item from customer for cleaning, checks pockets, buttons, zips, etc. and issues receipt
- Sorts articles by fabric, colour and type and determines appropriate cleaning process
- Removes difficult stains using chemicals or steam gun
- Loads articles into washing and dry cleaning machines or electrically operated drum cleaning machine, operates controls to admit cleaning fluids and starts machine
- Sets and operates drying machines and smoothes and shapes washed garments using hand iron or machine press
- Allocates washing machines to customers, ensures correct use of equipment and gives change
- Performs a variety of laundering, dry cleaning and pressing tasks, including beating carpets and shaping starched collars, cuffs and hats.
Academic qualifications are not required. Training is mainly on?the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Laundering are available at Levels 1 and 2.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £16,000 per annum and can progress up to £26,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,165 employed Launderers, Dry Cleaners & Pressers in the region.