Mobile Machine Drivers & Operatives N.e.c.
Job holders in this unit group supervise and undertake the operation of machines to transport, excavate, grade, level, and compact sand, earth, gravel and similar materials, drive piles into the ground and lay surfaces of asphalt, concrete and chippings, and operate other mobile machines not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 822: Mobile Machine Drivers and Operatives.
- Fixes any necessary extensions onto machine and loads machine with asphalt, concrete, bitumen, tar, stone chippings or any other required materials
- Manipulates levers, pedals and switches to manoeuvre vehicle, regulate angle and height of blades, buckets and hammers and starts conveyor, suction or water spraying system
- Watches operation and removes any likely obstacle or obstructions
- Directs refilling of machine hopper and repeats operations as necessary
- Cleans, oils and greases machine and carries out minor repairs.
No academic qualifications are required. On-the-job training is provided. The appropriate current driving licence will be required for driving on public highways.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £23,000 per annum and can progress up to £32,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 6,477 employed Mobile Machine Drivers & Operatives N.e.c. in the region.