Musicians write, arrange, orchestrate, conduct and perform musical compositions.
- Conceives and writes original music
- Tunes instrument and studies and rehearses score
- Plays instrument as a soloist or as a member of a group or orchestra
- Scores music for different combinations of voices and instruments to produce desired effect
- Auditions and selects performers and rehearses and conducts them in the performance of the composition.
There are no formal academic entry requirements although many possess a degree and/or diploma. Entry to a degree or graduate diploma course requires A levels/H grades. Entrants to the performers’ diploma course generally possess GCSEs/S grades and Associated Board Graded Examination passes in their chosen instrument(s) and will be required to audition. Apprenticeships at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available in some areas.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £37,000 per annum and can progress up to £44,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 4,798 employed Musicians in the region.
- Minister Tier 2 Creative Designer, Social Media& Musician drummer Burnham, Slough
- Hard Rock Cafe Bartender London, Greater London, W1C 1LZ
- Hard Rock Cafe Server London, Greater London, W1C 1LZ
- Specialist Nurse Mental Health in Learning Disabilities Ashford, TN25 4BY
- Support Worker 2 Sandhurst, Berkshire