Medical (diagnostic) radiographers operate x-ray machines, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging and other imaging devices for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, assist in the diagnosis of injuries and diseases and are involved in intervention procedures such as the removal of kidney stones. They operate under the supervision of senior staff. Therapeutic radiographers specialise in the planning and administration of radiotherapy treatment for patients with cancer.
- Uses a range of imaging devices for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes
- Assesses patients and interprets clinical requirements to determine appropriate radiographic treatments
- Verifies identity of patient and ensures that necessary preparations have been made for the examination/treatment
- Decides length and intensity of exposure or strength of dosage of isotope
- Positions patient and operates x-ray, scanning or fluoroscopic equipment
- Maintains records of all radiographic/therapeutic work undertaken
- Plans course of treatment with clinical oncologists and physicists
- Calculates radiation dosage and maps volume to be treated
- Explains treatment to patient and management of any side effects
- Carries out post-treatment reviews and follow-ups.
Entrants for medical radiography possess a degree in radiography recognised by the Health Professions Council (HPC). Those with a relevant first degree may qualify by completing a pre-registration postgraduate diploma or a Masters qualification. Post-qualifying courses are available for specialist areas.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £38,000 per annum and can progress up to £44,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 3,158 employed Medical Radiographers in the region.
- Interventional Radiology Physicians Associate | East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust Canterbury, CT1 3NG
- Band 6 Radiographer – IR/Cardiac-Angiography rotation | East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust Eastbourne, BN21 2UD
- Senior Radiographer - CT / MRI Sevenoaks, TN13 2JD
- Senior CT Radiographers Brighton, BN2 6DX
- Radiology Department Assistant | East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust St Leonards on Sea, TN37 7RD